Wednesday 9 March 2011

Big Fire Woman- who I be...

 I am Iiwaans Tsaanuu, Big Fire Woman. I come from three nations on the West Coast of Northern Turtle Island: Haida, Nisga'a, Tsimshian. I am a young Matriarch in training. A woman born free from Canada, and I have come dancing with the TRUTH of our history for all my sacred relations to embrace, even if in fear. I AM living history, and how I embrace the history of my ancestors will open doors for the next generation. Historically my nations gathered in the stormy months later in the year, we feasted, and we told our stories of creation, of myth, of warriors, and of legends to inspire us all. This is what we sort of call Oral History, or Ayukw in the Nisgaa language. The pieces i wrote, came from my heart, which has been touched by the graces of our history. And I am a freedom dancer, singer, writer, mother, and lover, sister, daughter. I close my eyes, and i see myself in a beautiful long house in Haida Gwaii, with Nations from all over Turtle Island sitting around the fires, listening to my story of living history. We are the legend, for we have survived, and will continue to live with great humble pride, as we are all sacred relations.

No comments:

Post a Comment