Tuesday 4 December 2012

Home sweet home

sooo... brushing the city dust off me, i stand with a silent joy as i find myself back at home. a place where my ancestors come from, a place of rugged beauty. now all the romanticizing about being what one of my friends refers to being a 'born again indian', is officially going to be put to the test. im home, with my two children, and my sons father back on Haida Gwaii. getting a lot of 'who are you', and 'are you really registered on this band list' questions, and looks. but its still good to be back at home. even if ill always be viewed as an outsider. today we are going to the language nest, to go sit at chief matthews with the elders, and learn xaad kil. then go bring my aunty some jarred goods, and find out what i need to do/acquire to begin weaving. my fathers a weaver, and most of my relatives are carvers. i have a raven mask that im working on. will try to finish it off whenever i can find a carving buddy. i talked to my partner today, and said that we should make goals for being home. like trying less participation in colonization, and practice more of our culture, language, and build on the strengths that we have here in our community. we are living in the richest place in the world, in terms of living off the land. we have a buffet in the ocean outside our front door, and there is an abundance all around us. once we get more settled here, and connected within the community, we will most likely in the spring start scoping out some land to build on.

No comments:

Post a Comment